Thursday, April 30, 2009
1) you used to listen to normal fun radio (AKA the Mikey show) or a pull from your music collection in the mornings while getting ready and on the way to school and such...now its just NPR. and you love it so much you just cant seem to get enough! and then you go tell your dad all you learned that morning cause your just so excited!
2) you also follow NPR on twitter, and love it.
3) you've watched LOST since the beginning and know everything that is happening, and during the show you just randomly will shout "THIS IS SUCH A GOOD SHOW!!!"
4) your suddenly excited about the new Star Trek movie and were screaming from real fear during the sneak clip during LOST last night. (no seriously, its going to be awesome)
5) you've read all of Twilight, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia...most of them twice.
6) your looking forward to really reading Lord of the Rings over the summer.
7) lastly, and most importantly: you reallllllly want to go to Comic Con this summer. like, so bad.
oh man, I am the COOLEST!!! Good thing a bunch of you are in the same boat with me, we can all wear pocket protectors and go see Star Trek together! ahaha
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
I forgot to tell all of you that this summer is the summer of 80's and 90's and 2000's teen movies. yes its true, Ive made an executive decision for all of you that this shall be so. but i know your more excited and relieved that you can watch them now without embarrassment or remorse than anything else, so let the movie watching begin! if you need any assistance in selecting your teen movies, i shall begin a list for you to cue up your netflix with. I recommend at least one a week so the end of summer doesnt come with only a few checked off the list. enjoy. (you can thank me later.)
also, feel free to add more that I have forgotten. this summer is going to be AMAZING to say the least.
in other news, my HUGE science presentation is tomorrow. its like 20% of my grade (or more) for like 3 of my classes. a pretty big deal to say the least and we've been working REALLY hard on everything so i think its going to be wonderful! im so sick of everything though that im having a hard time getting excited for tomorrow...at this point im only excited to get dressed up, go out for drinks afterwards, and have it OVER WITH. sitting through 5 hours of other presentations isnt looking particularly appealing either.
training for the 5K is going well. i just LOVE walking! today we went extra because i didnt go for 3 days...a lovely 30 minute brisk walk...wonderful.
i keep forgetting im going to Portland soon. crazy!
currently im making a dent in my summer movie list by watching Center Stage which just happens to be on HBO right now! amazing! oh man, the acting is so bad in this movie and its topped off with a Mandy Moore soundtrack and amazing dancing...its just so many things all in one.
alright, time for this official list. lets make summer 2009 one for the books friends!
Official Summer Teen 80's & 90's & 2000 Movie List
-10 Things I Hate About You
-The Breakfast Club
-Pretty in Pink
-She's All That
-Cant Hardly Wait
-Get Over It
-Drive Me Crazy
-Never Been Kissed
-What Ever It Takes
-I Know What You Did Last Summer
Friday, April 24, 2009
Speaking of which, I thought you would "enjoy" reading my journal posting for one of my assignments this week. Compared to my peers journal postings about what a busy week they had, their birthday plans to get drunk over the weekend, and some I cant discern because somehow they are in my program and dont speak English, I thought mine was rather good;) anyway, see below for some stimulating fun/a peek into my boring but kinda interesting? life.
In other news, Im almost done with the aforementioned school. just 2 weeks of normal/crazy school and then a week of nothing but a science final. and then im done! woohoo! summer is just around the corner! yipee! However, recently ive run into "more time" since we're kinda winding down with all the projects and such...however im not quite sure what to do with myself besides sleep. I'm so tired and sick of people that its all I can manage to do. Maybe once school is really over Ill take a few days to recoop and then be a normal person and tackle this mounding list of "summer fun!" things.
Tomorrow is the engagement party and im SO excited. I was a little anxious before because I wasnt sure who would be there and if I came alone would it suck because i wouldnt know anyone, but Allie is the best and assured me it would be all my friends and some, but not all, strangers. but then I remembered that im outgoing and like meeting new fun people and felt even better! sometimes i get so immersed in school and work, i kinda forget who I am. I just become this machiene that does things then sleeps. I think thats why I love to travel and spend time in the city. It reminds me who I am.
anyway, heres the silly assignment.
Journal Week 13
This week I have finished the Bruer book, which I found very informative and helpful as seen in my Theory 1 paper. I am really able to see the connections between the process of science as a method for learning all subjects, and how the process of becoming a novice to an expert as seen in the Everest exercise, can assist us in our future classrooms. Before I go into this weeks reading from the Flynn book, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on how I have connected these ideas to my future profession. As I have probably mentioned, my real focus and passion throughout this entire program has been in the arts in regards to wanting to become an elementary art teacher or children’s museum program leader. As I think about this process of going from a novice to an expert, I think about how I look at art as opposed to how my students will look at art. As an expert in my field, I know almost all there is to know about a designated art piece and am able to figure things out (such as who painted it, when, where, metaphors, etc.) an untrained student, or novice, can not. I have spent official class and work time immersed in my chosen field, use my spare time to immerse myself even further, and then use this overflowing knowledge to guide other students to be able to see and understand things as I do. The official process guides use to teach students how to look at art even reflects the process of science and learning. We simply ask them questions such as, “What do you see?”, “Why do you think the artist chose to do that?”, “What do you think this means?”, etc. This shows the teacher what the students already know and leads them to build upon how they see art. By having students actually do art and leading them through that process, also follows the science and learning process. Another key benefit of this, is when students DO art and see how difficult and challenging it is for a novice, they come to appreciate and understand classic and modern art pieces and the expert artists so much more. Just as we have done with the Everest climb and climbers!
Just a few chapters into the Flynn book, I am already enjoying the easy read and getting back into Everest. Although the Bruer book was a much welcomed break (despite the more difficult reading), I have to admit I missed my Everest friends and analogies. From the very beginning of chapter 2 I knew I was going to enjoy the writing and nature of this book. It seems that he views crazy Beck Weathers and Ed Viesturs the same way most of us do, and it looks as though we will be watching Flynn go through the process of novice to expert right before our very eyes as we read this accounts. I also really related to the situation on page 13 when he had to take his team member down the mountain and started being fussy about having to miss the rest of the climb. When his teammate started to cry, Flynn realized what a jerk he was being and apologized and said “Your friendship means more to me than the summit”. How well this connects to our current school situation. I know all of us are sick of each other and get snappy when having to be together so much under the mounds of mounting pressure and stress over the group projects and assignments. I found this quote to be encouraging and if you have read this far, hopefully it will be encouraging to you too. How much does you’re A+ really matter if everyone hates you when you get there? Why not do YOUR best work, LEARN as much as you can, and laugh and enjoy the rest of the ride? You’re A+ may not mean as much in the long run if your left all alone. Of course, this pre-capstone weekend may change my mind on all of this, but hopefully I’ve prepped myself enough to make it through without regret! We can do it!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
I'm lactose intolerant.
But I've been craving burritos.
You do the math.
No more. Even my dogs don't want to hang out with me. And you all know
how I feel about my dogs.
Today in biology we learned about worms. And I thought of my Wormy
girl doggie (AKA Lola). And laughed again because my dog responds to
Worms or Wormy simply because we are weird people. She doesn't even
have or has ever had worms. Oh man I'm laughing out loud again. In the
middle of a science quiz, oops.
I'm supposed to go to an engagement party this weekend. I was really
excited and even hve my outfit picked out, until I was reminded that
most people bring dates to these events. I asked Alyssa, who is by no
means an expert, but she still confirmed my questioning. Now I have I
choose: embrace my single and fabulous life, or skip the party and
hang out with other friends who don't remind me I'm alone.
A girl has to wonder, what would Carrie Bradshaw do?
I know the answer to that. Time to dust off the fabulous outfit I
never have a place to wear;)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
trying to close my door without getting up from working on a "very
Why hasn't anyone invented an automatic door closer? I mean, seriously
people, this is 2009.
Friday, April 17, 2009
ok, with that being said ive decided to try something new. ive set up my phone to be able to email and text in updates AND im going to keep them short and sweet. if you care about my life THAT much hopefully your my friend on Facebook and can see my pictures and are my Twitter friend too! otherwise, this will have to suffice. but i promise it will be good. so here goes.
currently im at work. some events.
1) two blue mugs. one filled with half cup of coffee. one filled with blackberries. Guess who put her hand in the wrong blue mug?
2) i thought to myself "oh im so excited for summer reading! I wonder when the next harry potter book is coming out? OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO SAD!!!" apparently im re-entering mourning for the ending of one of my favorite series. i think i may need to just re-read the last 2 books and just be excited for the movie. oh Harry.
3)how does one know when which fruits are in season? does it matter since we live in socal? because these blackberries and some strawberries i had recently werent very sweet. they were organic, does that matter? i think someone should make a calender of when different fruits are in season so i can buy them.
4) tomorrow me and annie and jordan are having a girls relaxing/beach/spa day! its supposed to be sunny and in the high 70's and annie is housesitting for a condo RIGHT on the beach!!! so excited!!! i have a list of girly things to do (being a girl is a lot of work! right!), gonna buy some gossip and glamour magazines, and just ENJOY my life!!! for a whole day!!! EXCEPT i really miss Kelsey now. She should be with us and im bummed she wont be. I've been thinking about how i miss her for a few days now, and i think saturday may just be my breaking point! i just have so many people to visit and not enough time:( ive been wanting to visit Kathleen in LA forever, of course Kels and a new cousin in newport, and always micah and cammie downtown. having all these kinda long distance friends is exhausting! i like sleeping in my own bed on the weekends too people! quit moving away!
5) in other news, im training for a 5K! woohoo! of course, i could easily walk a 5K now, but not very easily at a pace higher than a stroll. so im taking it to the next level and walking at a more moderate and brisk pace and making my dogs stay caught up with me! (if im doing it, Bellas gonna lose that girth too!) i get training from a free online program and its so nice! ive been lagging slightly on my exercise regime, and this totally got me excited again! i love walking outdoors! its the best! and since im not quite a beginner, the program has been pretty easy so far, and im excited to keep going. i love 5K's, they are so fun! ive done quite a few, and everyone was just the right amount of workout with a complimentary t-shirt to boot! woohoo!