Friday, August 19, 2011

What Not To Wear: The Lazy Look



Ok, so I've been working on my wardrobe and style over the last few years, but especially after I lost 35 pounds and entered the working world I've been able to heat things up. Most recently I had to add balancing fashion, the different weather seasons, and euro fashion in Slovakia. Nothing bothers me more (and is something you can NEVER get away with in Europe btw) then when women don't dress their best. I don't necessarily mean always in a dress and heels, but I feel like a bunch of women have gotten on this train of if they aren't working then they just wear sweats or jeans and t shirts all the damn time. Often, even work clothes will be too casual, outdated, or inappropriate in the name of "comfort". And whats funny, is that wearing a little dress with cute flats...or with tights in the winter and a sweater...maybe some tailored jeans and a pretty top...is just as easy to put on and be "comfortable" as those horrible oversize sweaters and ugly jeans. 

Everyone has a different style, and I don't in any way think everyone should dress like me (in fact, please don't), but lets start trading out some of those t-shirts, jeans, and sweat pants...for something a little more feminine. That shows off your hot body. Makes you feel beautiful. And is still comfortable. Deal? 

Some Helpful Guidelines:

Invest in some classics. Make them staples in your wardrobe. 

I wear my black pencil skirt a million different ways year round. A must for my wardrobe. 
Find your staples and wear them OUT.

You don't always have to be "on trend". Some staple dresses, trousers (if thats your thing), properly fitting jeans, and nice tops you can mix and match with each other is plenty. Think of how many different places and ways you can wear a piece before you buy it. For instance, I have very few dresses that are only really appropriate for work. The rest of them I can wear year round and dress up for work with a nice sweater, undershirt, tights, flats, etc. Or skankify for going out by taking off the tights and undershirt and adding some sexy time heels and some jewelry. I might not wear the outfit on the same day from work to drinks, but I get way more use out of my wardrobe this way. Especially when you could only bring one suitcase to move to Europe with you...

Quit being lazy.
 Ok, she's a super skinny celebrity, but she's also raising a bunch of kids and working around the world year 24/7. Still, she has a "staples based" wardrobe and just throws things together for an effortless put together look. My hero. 

There is no excuse for looking like you just crawled out of bed when you go to your friends house, dinner, work, anywhere. I don't care how cold it is, how many kids you have, how early or far you have to walk to work, really it shouldn't matter. If you fill your wardrobe with easy to match and wear items, I promise it will make everything easier! I have a fairly simple work wardrobe...a black pencil skirt, tons of day and night dresses, some pretty tops, a pair of flats, a pair of boots, and a pair of low heels. Plus hoards of black warm leggings and black tights. Thats pretty much it. For work I just throw one of those things together half awake, and for casual I just wear leggings and a nice top. Done and Done. Note: I wake up at the crack of dawn, commute to work via public transit in the winter with transfers, and work with 3-5 year olds all day. If I can do it, so can you. 


Comfort Doesn't Have To = Sweats.


This comfy looking top and trousers is about 100x cuter then those sweats you're wearing.

For around the house, I find my little cotton dresses and negligee pretty comfortable, but if you don't then try and explore outside of your sweat pant and jeans and t shirts rut. Some properly fitting jeans, a cute top, and cardigan will always beat out some baggy trousers and a sweat shirt. Seriously, retire your sweat shirts for at home wear only please. And NOT if you want your man to be at all attracted to you. Sorry, but its true. It's really just a matter of changing habits, reach for something else...or just throw out all your ugly stuff so you have no choice like I did. 


You Don't Have To Spend A Lot of Money.


Yeah, this dress is $15 and I can think of a million different ways to wear it.

I mean...unless you want to. But I've been a poor college student and now poor teacher all my life and manage just fine. In America we have TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, and other designer discount stores which I live for. There are also always Thrift stores. H&M is FINALLY getting big here and surprisingly if paired right, Ann Taylor Loft is also really cheap. Just be careful of putting things together correctly because most of their stuff is really "Mom" or "Old Teacher" style which definitely isn't me. But some of my favorite skinnys, skirts, and accessories are from there too. And of course Forever 21 and Macy's have some great things. Find your favorite stores, looks, shapes, colors, styles, etc...and stick to it as long as you like.


I believe in you all. Look as beautiful as you feel. Yeah, that was cliche, but its true. You can do it.

No comments: