Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Working Girl.


Well friends, it finally happened. I am a working girl! Ok, not that kind of working girl- but I do have a real job and AM SO EXCITED ABOUT IT! They only started me 3-4 days a week until I get the hang of things and they'll bump me up to full time, and THEN hopefully I'll get the big promotion from intern to a fancy title on salary and the whole deal. But until then I am enjoying being in the training environment, getting to know the company and my new co-workers, and getting a feel for what I'm going to be doing there in the short term and long term. 

Read if you want to know what I actually do: Basically I work for THE top company that puts those product recommendations based on your purchase/click/whatever history on the sides of major retail websites. I am in the "Product Management" department...which is like 3 of us...right now as an intern but should be able to be an associate product manager within the year (I hope). And we act as the in-between from what the client wants and what the software developers can and will do. So I am mostly with the software developers, but my department are the outgoing and extroverted ones since we have to do presentations, demos, meet with clients sometimes, etc. And I don't have to know the intricacies of the technology too much, but somewhat enough so I can lead and push projects, explain things to clients, understand lingo, etc. Someday I will be a big girl.

The people I work with are all really nice, except my current cube mate, which I find ironic, and while the developers are pretty nerdy on my floor and in my department, at least they aren't THAT nerdy and mean or awkward. Very easy going and friendly. Plus my boss in the product management department, mentor, and woman I work with very closely is AWESOME. She is slowly becoming my idol. 

Today I ate biscuits and gravy with sausage and a mimosa. And then chips and a margarita for dinner. Finally dessert was 2 gin n tonics. Haven't exercised in almost a week. Fail. BUT I was glad to spend time with friends today and barely even spent money! I forget how good for my soul all of my girls are. 

I can't WAIT to go shopping for new work/life clothes when I get a few paychecks under my belt. I've been wearing the same crap for years without a refresh, everyday I cringe having to pick something out. More incentive for healthy eating and exercise though! 

xoxo

HL

No comments: