Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Art of the Sweater Dress.



We all have our issues. Mine is that I am a nanny who gets thrown up on regularly, a tutor who needs to look decent and not smell like someone elses breast milk, a teacher who needs to look "professional" but will be running around all day and getting pretty grimy, AND a hot single 25 year old who devours fashion magazines and blogs like its my OTHER part time job. Summer I am all sun dresses and its easy. But winter? What the HELL am I supposed to wear everyday? Thanks to the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow website/email newsletter regarding her wardrobe shift after having kids,, I have discovered the ART of the sweater dress.

And YES it is an art. Mostly because you have to know your body type and know which dresses will look lovely on you. Plus, it takes some sneaky maneuvering to be able to take your "nanny/mom" outfit and turn it into something chic and trendy in those quick seconds in between nap time and your dinner date.

Tricks of the Trade:

-For around the house nanny/mom time just the dress and some leggings will do the trick. Flats or flat boots are perfect! Going out? Switch to some black tights (or for more fun, get some fancy patterned ones) and add some jewelry. If you want your feet to hurt the entire night but can bare it, add a heeled bootie. Instant SEX.

-I would recommend at least 1-2 statement necklaces in every girls closet (I have one in gold and one in silver...plus some long strand pearls. But thats pretty much it.) Add one -or more for funsies- to transfer over to that professional look or for when your leaving the house and venturing into, The Public. Scour thrift stores and local boutiques, maybe even Etsy. I could do an entire post on statement necklaces.

-If your dress isn't a cowl neck, you could spiff it up with a lush scarf like this one.

-Check your local "discount" stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, The Rack, etc. I haven't spent more then $30 on one of these babies and they have lasted me at least 2 winter seasons so far.

-Know your body and know the dress. You might need to add a belt to accent your waist. You might NOT be able to do a loose boyfriend type of sweater dress because it makes you look bigger then you are...whatever you need to do- Make it work.

Trends:
Victorias Secret for some Inspiration.

Love the color, liquid leggings, and detailed cowl neck. I want.



I have one similar to this. I like her neckline better though.



I LITERALLY WANT THIS IN EVERY COLOR.

No comments: